Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Windows Server 2003 R2 SUA >> Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway - Oct. 6, '06, 5:04:48 AM   
fishface

I want to share a Linux NFS file server with XP clients. I have set-up a test rig, 1 x MS Server2003 R2, 1 x SLES10 NFS server, and 1 x XP SP2 client.

I installed SFU3.5 (which seems to use .NET) on the Server2003 using the R2 media that comes with Server2003. I’m only interested in sharing the NFS server and NIS authentication so I only installed the relevant packages.

I had previously tried the downloaded version of SFU3.5 which had NFS Gateway, and was expecting this to be on the R2 CD, I cannot find the on the Server2003 R2.

So I decide I will use the NFS client to share out the NFS server. I config the exports, I keep simple, then I config NFS client on the Server2003, first off it didn’t work at all until I changed it over to UDP only. Any, I get the 2 servers talking, I can map a drive on Server2003 to the Linux NFS server and all works perfectly, when I then try and map the XP client to the share on the Server2003 it fails saying no network found or network path incorrect – now, I assuming that because NFS gateway is not supplied on R2 means that you are supposed to use the NFS client as a gateway – is this correct? It’s very similar.

Anyway, couldn’t get it to work so I put on NFS Gateway, config it much the same and it works perfectly from the get go, XP client can mount mapped drive on Server2003 which then mounts the NFS, all works perfectly. Unfortunately, I get warning messages saying I cannot use the NFS Gateway when using NIS components from R2.

I’m going to worry about NIS later.

So
1. Do I use NFS client on as a gateway? Why doesn’t it work just like the NFS gateway.
2. Can I get NFS gateway to sit comfortably with the rest of the R2 components
3. Uninstall the lot and just install the download version of SFU3.5, however non reversible things are done when the R2 version is installed.
4 Is NFS gateway on R2 but I've just missed it?
Post #: 1
RE: Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway - Oct. 6, '06, 12:44:22 PM   
Rodney

You should not install SFU 3.5 components on W2K3/R2.
All of the components (except for NFS Gateway) are distributed as part of the OS.
So NFS Server and NFS Client should be added from the "Windows Component" part
of Add/Remove programs.

NFS Gateway is EOL at SFU 3.5 -- to be no more.
NFS Client does not work as a substitute for NFS Gateway.
The idea of NFS Gateway was to, essentially, proxy to SMB clients that couldn't
do NFS client a filesystem offered by an NFS Server. With NFS Gateway gone it
means each of those SMB clients will need to run NFS Client. The performance
and behavior should be better with the more direct connection.

In summary for your numbered questions:
no, no, right, not missed.

So you should put NFS client on the XP/SP2 boxes and have them mount directly the
SLES10 NFS offered filesystems. W2K3/R2 won't proxy between the two machines.

(in reply to fishface)
Post #: 2
RE: Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway - Oct. 6, '06, 1:53:08 PM   
fishface

That's a shame, I was trying to avoid installing the client on every XP PC, and the gateway also gave you the option of a friendly name for the share.

I kinda figured that it doesn't fit well with R2, is the performance greatly improved by having NFS clients instead of a gateway? One less lopp to jump through I guess.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 3
RE: Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway - Oct. 6, '06, 2:07:32 PM   
Rodney

> is the performance greatly improved by having NFS clients instead of a gateway?

I never did any performance tests, but it was clearly slower than a direct NFS Client-Server
connection (which is logical). There were a lot of people jazzed, as you were, about avoiding
an installation of NFS Client on every machine. But the 'translation' was humanly noticable
which in the GHz world is pretty big :-)

(in reply to fishface)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Windows Server 2003 R2 SUA >> Server2003 R2 and NFS gateway Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -