Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

X server?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> X server? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
X server? - Oct. 2, '02, 2:00:09 PM   
arorlik

I' m a little confused about whether or not SFU includes an X Server program. The ' Running X Window clients' help page specifically statest that SFU does not include an X server program, however I' ve read articles (specifically, http://www.systemtoolbox.com/article.php?articles_id=130) that mention that it is included. I' ve been running X Window programs w/ Exceed, but would rather do everything from within SFU.

Alice
Post #: 1
RE: X server? - Oct. 3, '02, 10:52:26 AM   
adrianbo

Hi,

SFU 3 definitely doesn' t include an X server. What it does include is the X11R5 header files and libraries, so you can compile and run X clients. Interop do supply their own customised version of the Hummingbird X server (see http://www.interopsystems.com/products/InteropXserver.htm), although I haven' t tried this. I agree, it would make life easier if an X server came as part of the standard SFU package.

Adrian

(in reply to arorlik)
Post #: 2
RE: X server? - Oct. 7, '02, 12:34:48 PM   
Rodney

If you already have Exceed you can use Exceed. Exceed works quite well with Interix. The Interop X Server is a re-branded Exceed.
Other X servers will work with Interix as well. Some of the versions of X11 that those X servers support are not up-to-date. This won' t be a problem if you' re using the X11R5 programs. But if you start to use the X11R6.6 then you' ll want an X11R6.6 X server (Yes, Exceed is X11R6.6 as of version 7.0 and up).
All you have to do is start the X server and then start an xterm or whatever X11 program you want to run.

- Rodney

(in reply to arorlik)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: X server? - Nov. 8, '02, 3:18:50 PM   
jbaudhuin

Yeah, I' ve been using Reflection X without (m)any difficulties, and have, on another machine, even used Cygwin w/ XFree86 4.2.0. There is a bit of keyboard-related weirdness, it seems, w/ the installation, or keymaps or something: typically I can use Alt+Backspace in tcsh, but it just does weird things on Interix' s xterm client.
I have run into problems launching a local Interix Xterm w/ ReflectionX, but only after I installed the warehouse-provided X11R6 binaries. Not sure what' s up w/ that--xterm launches and vanishes lickety-split.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 4
RE: X server? - Dec. 12, '02, 8:45:46 PM   
jamesdavidhoward

May I suggest a low-cost commercial alternative that I have been using quite successfully to display UNIX, Linux and Interix X apps on my Windows desktop? It is X-Deep/32, from http://www.pexus.com, priced about $55.00 per seat. It implements X11r6.5.1 (currently).

James D. Howard,

(in reply to arorlik)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> X server? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -