Free Downloads, Community Forum,
FAQs and Developer Resources

Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentation...

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentation... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentation... - Aug. 17, '03, 9:31:38 AM   
David_Russell

Greetings,

I' m not sure if this is the correct forum for these questions but I' m going to use it anyway.

First off, since Services For Unix uses GPLed tools such as gcc, where can I get the source to these GPLed tools with the SFU modifications?

Secondly, Where/how can I get information on the NT kernel hooks and NT system hooks used? For instance... The SFU beta I installed can enable NTFS filesystems (and possibly others) to be case-sensitive (I can create Test.txt, test.txt, and TeSt.TxT all in the same directory). How can I duplicate this functionality without installing SFU? This is just one question of many.

-- David Russell
Post #: 1
RE: Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentatio... - Aug. 17, '03, 9:47:15 AM   
Rodney

Yes, the GPL-based code is available by two methods.
One is from the SFU website. Download it over the Internet.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp is the page and the link is on the right side.
Two is from Interop in CD form. You can order it. http://www.interopsystems.com/Products2.asp

There are a couple of the GPL-based programs that have been updated by Interop (RCS is an example) and can be downloaded from the /Tools warehouse.

For your second question. NTFS is always case sensitive, etc. It' s just the flags to the API' s that turn things on/off. Microsoft doesn' t publish man pages on the NT API' s. In one of the software development (or Resource) kits there are the header files for them. You have to work it out from there on your own or from what others have posted on the Web. A good site to start with is http://www.ntkernel.com (Nt Kernel Resources). It' s not run by MS but it has been around for a number of years.

(in reply to David_Russell)
Post #: 2
RE: Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentatio... - Aug. 17, '03, 3:29:27 PM   
David_Russell

Unfortunatly the link you gave for downloading the source just takes you to order page for the CD. I don' t particularly want to pay $20 for the CD. Know of anywhere else I can download the source?

!!!START RANT!!!
As to the NT API' s, I' ve searched around all over and found no documentation. Considering MS got sued and lost for not documenting " System APIs" (APIs included in the base OS) that they use in " Middleware" (Products they sell as external add ons or applications to run on their OSes), I would think MS would make some kind of effort to document these features. After all, Services for Unix is a " Middleware" application and it is clearly using numerous undocumented system API calls.
!!!END RANT!!!

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 3
RE: Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentatio... - Aug. 17, '03, 5:58:03 PM   
jimraf

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/Interix/sfu30/gnu/

Post #: 4
RE: Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentatio... - Aug. 17, '03, 11:17:34 PM   
David_Russell

I' d like to take this moment to apologize for my rant. It was really uncalled for. I have managed to find documented in MSDN almost all the functionality I was looking for. CreateFile() takes an argument for POSIX compatibility which allows for case-sensitive names. There is still some functionality which I don' t have yet but a lot of it' s there.

Again, sorry for the rant... I just realized I can' t do IFS development because I don' t have $900 to purchase the SDK and that ticked me off.

-- David Russell

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> Source for GPLed tools and System-hook documentation... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -