Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Nov. 16, '04, 1:43:11 PM   
rtwede

I have been working with Microsoft to get 2 specific defects fixed.

Defect 1:
---------

MS estimated that in early December they would have a new version of the linker developed which fixes the issues with the creation of incorrect executables.

The SFU 3.5 linker itself would core dump, or might incorrectly link code such that it would always core dump at load time/run time.

This linker issue appears to be limited to scenarios where partial linking is used (-r option)

Defect 2:
---------

An SFU nfsrdr.sys driver defect exists which will blue screen XP repeatedly.

The defect appears to be limited to systems with either hyperthreading enabled (or true multiprocessor).

The blue screen occurs given multiple nfs accesses by two different threads and appears to be limited to scenarios where symbolic links are followed.
Post #: 1
RE: New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Nov. 16, '04, 1:50:33 PM   
Rodney

Thanks for the update.

(in reply to rtwede)
Post #: 2
RE: New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Dec. 5, '04, 10:08:09 PM   
sfrare

Hi:

Hopefully they are sharing... Is there any way to get past fixes to this linker? If not I am stuck at the moment, building TAO completely fails in the link steps. I have even switched to static libraries and I can still break the linker...

g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -frepo -D_REENTRANT -DACE_HAS_THREADS -g -D
_ALL_SOURCE -I/opt/ACE_wrappers -I/opt/ACE_wrappers/TAO -I/opt/ACE_wrappers/
TAO -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ -I../../../.. -I../../.. -DACE_AS_S
TATIC_LIBS -DTAO_AS_STATIC_LIBS -L /usr/lib -L/opt/ACE_wrappers/ace -ldl -lc -l
pthread -L/opt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/tao -L/opt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/tao -L../../../../l
ib -o client .obj/Client_Task.o .obj/TestC.o .obj/client.o -lTAO_Messaging -lTAO
_PortableServer -lTAO_Valuetype -lTAO_Strategies -lTAO -lACE
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]

Thanks
Steve

(in reply to rtwede)
Post #: 3
RE: New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Dec. 6, '04, 11:16:41 AM   
rtwede

Microsoft has responded that the problems with the linker a larger than they estimated and a full fix of all the problems will not be available until Jan-Feb timeframe. I have already taken one fix for a linker crash, but it basically traded the link-time crash for a "hidden" run-time crash (missing .text from some methods) which in my opinion is actually more severe and insidious. I'm looking forward to a solid toolset in a month or two.

(in reply to sfrare)
Post #: 4
RE: New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Dec. 6, '04, 11:51:13 PM   
sfrare

Hi:

Thanks for the update. I am not comfortable that we are seeing the same issue... I have re-read your post and removed any reference to -i or -r from my link lines and still the problem exists. As well as it exists on static libs, not just dynamic libs... Dang, open a $245 support call or wait 2 months to find the issue isn't fixed...

Any thoughts from the you guys? Frankly I am about out of hair here...

I have had the Interix changes added to the DOC group ACE CVS repository, they are available (after 4:00 a.m. this morning MST) via anonymous CVS if anybody else wants to give it a whirl... It would sure show how the linker can be broke in many ways, good for a test. I volunteer for beta testing on the linker! ;->

http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html

Requires gmake (easily buildable or install the package from tools)

I can give more detailed instructions on building the thing, those will end up in the ACE-INSTALL.htm eventually.

ACE builds and runs fine ( a few socket issues Rodney and I are working on another thread...) TAO will totally blow out the linker. Note if you remove the -frepo line from the make directive ACE will blow out the linker as well.

Thanks
Steve

(in reply to rtwede)
Post #: 5
RE: New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Dec. 7, '04, 11:22:59 AM   
rtwede

I don't believe your issue is the same as the -i or -r issue (defect 1), but it appears similar to the first compiler issue (Defect 0 not listed above).

So the issue you report appears similar to one that has already been fixed by a MS patch. The fix eliminates the compile-time core dump. The problem however is that you can then compile and run the executable but due to Defect 1 above, you may still have failures but only now they are more insidious, only detectable at run time.

(in reply to sfrare)
Post #: 6
RE: New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec - Mar. 30, '05, 1:43:11 PM   
patricksProb

FYI - the ld option --split-by-file seems to prevent some of the core dumps when using ld -r

(in reply to rtwede)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> New ld linker (2 new hotfixes) from MS expected in Dec Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -