Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Help! core dumps

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Windows - UNIX Interop] >> System & Network Admin Forum >> Help! core dumps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help! core dumps - May 11, '05, 2:11:59 PM   
eppNator

Help! Here is our situation:

- we have a win2k3 sp1 file server with SFU 3.5 installed along with posix apache 2.0.50 and sudo
- we are using a perl CGI script give users access to their folders on this file server
- the perl script uses 'sudo' to run as the user
- everything works in our test environment but now that we've brought up our production environment, its generating core dumps frequently but intermittently... as far as I can see everything is configured the same as in our test environment

Unfortunately, we are under some time pressure to bring this server up in production so any ideas are most welcome.

Nathan Epp
U of Saskatchewan
Post #: 1
RE: Help! core dumps - May 11, '05, 3:06:39 PM   
Rodney

Must be the day for this...
Sounds like the production machine may be a newer computer with DEP.
Refer to the FAQ #2.07
This is, what has started to become, the usual reason for "core dump" related problems.
If turning off DEP (hardware & software) doesn't fix things, let us know.

(in reply to eppNator)
Post #: 2
RE: Help! core dumps - May 12, '05, 12:16:50 AM   
eppNator

For a few hours, you had me really excited... I thought that DEP had to be the problem.

Unfortunately, turning off DEP didn't solve the core dumps. I tried turning DEP off completely using the switch in the boot.ini and I tried disabling it for posix.exe, psxss.exe, psxrun.exe... neither helped. My test machines have similar hardware with the same service pack and dep settings and it works fine there so I guess it must be something else.

I can add a little more info to this problem description... the cgi script runs in two parts: apache runs myfiles.cgi which is a perl script that ultimately execs a 'sudo' of fileman.pl which is the script that generates the html that gets returned. Interestingly, it would seem that fileman.pl always (or at least nearly always) returns... the core dump happens after that. Thus it appears that the web application is working correctly were it not for the core dumps that appear in the user's directories each time they refresh the web page.

Any more ideas?

(in reply to eppNator)
Post #: 3
RE: Help! core dumps - May 12, '05, 1:19:30 PM   
eppNator

We have "solved" the core dumps by backing out of windows 2003 service pack 1.

I feel a like a bit of an idiot because we looked again at our test environment and realized that it too was causing core dumps. So I tried backing out sp1 on a test box and the core dumps went away. We have backed out sp1 on our production environment so that we can turn it live for our users.

However, we will need to determine why sp1 is breaking this app and find a fix as eventually we will need to move to sp1. I've left sp1 on one of my test servers so that we can reproduce the problem and test any fixes that we may find. So any suggestions are still gladly accepted!

(in reply to eppNator)
Post #: 4
RE: Help! core dumps - May 12, '05, 1:49:54 PM   
Rodney

This is interesting about 2003 SP1.
There was another person who was experiencing problems with SP1 and the SFU patch.
They too had problems when a shell script ran a sub-shell.
They had sent me e-mail about it and in the end I could only refer them to PSS (MS support).
I will ask if they have heard anything back.

(in reply to eppNator)
Post #: 5
RE: Help! core dumps - May 12, '05, 2:16:18 PM   
Rodney

The Forum thread relating to this one is:
http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/forum/tm.aspx?m=5757&mpage=1&key=ᚊ

Word through another member is that there is a fix in the works from MS.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 6
RE: Help! core dumps - May 12, '05, 6:36:17 PM   
eppNator

Thank you very much for you help with this... I'll keep monitoring these two threads until I hear that a fix is available.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Windows - UNIX Interop] >> System & Network Admin Forum >> Help! core dumps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -