Free Downloads, Community Forum,
FAQs and Developer Resources

Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> SFU / Interix - Getting Started >> installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 11:36:19 AM   
Michael_Maxwell

After downloading v3.5 of SFU, I came here to get ' bash' (on a tip from the MS newsgroup--wouldn' t have found it otherwise). I downloaded the binary version of bash, untarred it to a temp dir, and then ran the shell script ' +INSTALL' . However, that appears to do almost nothing about installing bash--so far as I can tell, it just adds /usr/local/bin/bash to the list in /etc/shells.

I can obviously copy the executable, man pages etc. over to the appropriate dirs under /SFU. But why doesn' t the install program do this? Do all the installs for these tools (at least in the binaries) require the same manual intervention?
Post #: 1
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 12:06:14 PM   
Rodney

Hi Michael,

We' re on the " bleeding edge" today since it' s the offical release day.

All of the binaries are packages. That is, an installer takes the package (bash in this case) and places everything in the right place. It also records everything so that it can be cleanly uninstalled (if needed) and stores version numbers so that updates can happen cleanly too.

I' m writing up an explanation for the web page right now.
Originally MS was going to include the installer (pkg_add) with 3.5 but changed their minds. So the way to use this is to download the installer self-installing, shell script from:
ftp://ftp.interopsystems.com/pkgs/3.5/pkg-1.2-bin35.sh

and run it (sh pkg-1.2-bin35.sh).
Then you can install bash as:
pkg_add ftp://ftp.interopsystems.com/pkgs/3.5/bash-2.05.2-bin.tgz

This will install bash and all of the packages it depends upon via ftp at the same time.

Rodney

(in reply to Michael_Maxwell)
Post #: 2
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 12:48:23 PM   
markfunk

... or since you' ve already downloaded the bash .tgz file, you can install it as:
pkg_add bash-2.0-4.2-bin.tgz

And when you try to run pkg_add, you' ll need to be logged in (or su' d) as local Administrator.

Post #: 3
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 1:06:40 PM   
Rodney

It' ll look for the packages it depends on in the same directory.
For bash this will be:
env_path_local-1.0-bin.tgz
env_manpath_local-1.0-bin.tgz

They are small and set up the shell resource files.

So download these files into the same directory as the bash file, or do the ftp. All the env_* are packages themselves. Once a package is installed it' s registered so it won' t need to be installed again even when needed by several other packages.

Post #: 4
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 1:31:53 PM   
Michael_Maxwell

Thanks, I seem to have it set up now. Sure beats csh or ksh!

> It' ll look for the packages it depends on in the same
> directory.
> For bash this will be:
> env_path_local-1.0-bin.tgz
> env_manpath_local-1.0-bin.tgz

I now have /usr/local/man in my MANPATH twice. I think I know how to get it out (and maybe it doesn' t make any difference), but will it keep getting added each time I use pkg_add?

Hmm, the bash man isn' t getting formatted--it has the raw dot commands. Other man pages are apparently pre-formatted. I' m sure there' s a way to fix this. (And I also realize that you' re probably too busy today to respond to all these queries, so I' ll be patient--thanks!)

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 5
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 1:41:23 PM   
Rodney

> Thanks, I seem to have it set up now. Sure beats csh or ksh!

Careful, you start a shell war ;-)

The MANPATH being there twice is no panic. pkg_add will only add it once. Since 3.5 installed (at least on my machine) doesn' t set MANPATH to have /usr/local/man one instance is from pkg_add (specificly from the env_manpath_local package). The other... I don' t know. Did you add it yourself somewhere?

I' ll touch up the package for the man page to be in ' cat' form right now. You can grab it from the ftp site in /pub/bash.1.

Post #: 6
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 1:52:46 PM   
Michael_Maxwell

Thanks--I just found the note at the download area concerning ' catman' , which it says will be out tomorrow. As Arnold says, I' ll be Bach.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 7
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 1:59:04 PM   
Michael_Maxwell

> The MANPATH being there twice is no panic...
> Did you add it yourself somewhere?

Yes, I think it came over when I copied over my .bashrc file from the CygWin install :-).

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 8
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 15, '04, 2:10:38 PM   
Rodney

catman is in the pkgs/3.5 directory now.
This is pretty fresh, so if you have a problem let us know.

Post #: 9
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 23, '04, 11:21:41 PM   
steveh

The catman package is broken due to invalid owner :(

Post #: 10
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 24, '04, 4:47:16 PM   
veger

After detecting that " administator" means the primordial " Administrator" and not " a member of the administator group" , I logged in as Administrator and succeeded in installing the package installer.
But then I got the follwing result

$ pkg_add ftp://ftp.interopsystems.com/pkgs/3.5/bash-2.05.2-bin.tgz
>>> ftp -o - ftp://ftp.interopsystems.com/pkgs/3.5/bash-2.05.2-bin.tgz
sh: pkg: No such file or directory
$

I had already downloaded the bash-file, so I tried:
$ pkg_add bash-2.05.2-bin.tgz
and got: package already recorded as installed, and indeed
$ bash
bash-2.05$

What happened?

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 11
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 25, '04, 11:41:59 AM   
Rodney

For ' verger' s message:
Part of the installer is a script called ' pkg' which actually doesn' t do much. It' s there for future development (according to the BSD docs). But pkg_add pushes on. So things still installed correctly.
Since the script ' pkg' doesn' t much I' ll see about just skipping this part (it' ll likely make things a tad faster).

for ' steveh' s message:
You need to tell me the _exact_ details of whatever error message is coming out.

Post #: 12
RE: installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) - Jan. 25, '04, 2:22:43 PM   
steveh

see the other thread here for details Rodney:
http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/forum/tm.asp?m=773&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> SFU / Interix - Getting Started >> installing binary version of ' bash' (newbie Q) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -