Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

linking with msvc dlls?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> linking with msvc dlls? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
linking with msvc dlls? - Jan. 19, '04, 5:00:32 PM   
Vikram

Hi,
Is it possible build an application using
g++/gcc under services for unix and to link with a dll that has been compiled with the microsoft c/c++ compiler outside the interix subsystem?

--Vikram
Post #: 1
RE: linking with msvc dlls? - Jan. 19, '04, 5:12:04 PM   
markfunk

not usually. DLL' s built with Win32 compilers normally use API' s/resources from the Win32 subsystem. Each subsystem is currently mutually exclusive so you can only use api' s from one or the other.

(in reply to Vikram)
Post #: 2
RE: linking with msvc dlls? - Feb. 5, '04, 4:51:05 PM   
dtrucken

As a follow up question to the previous answer, can I build a windows program (that will run in the windows subsystem) from SFU? In other words, if I call the MS Visual C++ program from SFU is the normal Windows Subsystem API somehow hidden?

< Message edited by dtrucken -- Feb 5, '04, 4:52:35 PM >

(in reply to Vikram)
Post #: 3
RE: linking with msvc dlls? - Feb. 5, '04, 5:34:43 PM   
Rodney

I' ll answer indirectly and directly jsut to make sure there is as little confusion as possible.

Interix is it' s own subsystem and talks with the NT kernel directly (so there is no emulation layer or use of Win32 DLL' s).

MS VC can be used to build Win32 and Interix labeled binaries.
With Interix (SFU) there are scripts (cc and c89) that setup VC to compile and link C source code to Interix binaries correctly. With Interix also comes (if you select the custom install and load both SDK' s) gcc and g++ so you can do C and C++ programs.

From an Interix program there is no calling of Win32 API' s.

However, you can build Win32 programs from with the Interix environment. We (Interop) have been involved with this recently. What happens is make or whatever Unix build tool(s) you normally like can be used to drive the compile and link of source code. It uses the VC compiler (gcc/g++ is not involved with this).

Essentially what happens is that Interix and Win32 direct that programs be started in each other' s space and status results returned. So you can start VC or notepad from Interix and it runs in Win32-land; from Win32 you can start ksh or vi and an Interix tty will appear with that app running.

Does this answer what you ask?

(in reply to Vikram)
Post #: 4
RE: linking with msvc dlls? - Feb. 5, '04, 5:41:48 PM   
dtrucken

Yes, I think so.

If I put " cc" or " c89" in my makefile, then I' ll compile for the SFU subsystem, but if I put " cl" there, I' ll launch /dev/fs/C/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/Bin/CL.EXE in the " normal" Windows subsystem?

I guess I' ll just have to try it to see if it works. Now, if I can just figure out how to get the ssh login to work... :-)

(in reply to Vikram)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> linking with msvc dlls? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -