Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

alternative to Cygwin?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> alternative to Cygwin? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
alternative to Cygwin? - Oct. 28, '02, 10:37:37 PM   
doug

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Cygwin library from RedHat? I need to implement the POSIX interface to Win32 while still having access to Win32.
-Doug Harts-
Post #: 1
RE: alternative to Cygwin? - Oct. 30, '02, 2:02:07 PM   
Rodney

There are four players in the Unix on Microsoft area: cygwin, SFU/Interix, U/Win and MKS/Nutcracker. Alternatively there are packages such as Python, Perl and Tcl/Tk.

SFU/Interix runs with it' s own subsystem on the NT kernel. So it is a native environment (not an emulation layer). As such it does some things much better -- such as fork(). You can get access to Win32 with it via sockets communication, IPC, pipes, memory sharing, file sharing and command line args. You cannot call Win32 API' s from here. Mixing Unix and Win32 API' s though makes things non-portable.
Cygwin, U/Win and MKS/Nutcracker run with the Win32 subsystem. These three are implemented in roughly the same manner. They all have Unix API' s layered on Win32 API' s. So these are emulations. Being an emulation carries some performance penalties, but you do get a wider access to Win32 including Win32 API' s. Care should be taken to read the doc' s on what each say about this to reduce potential conflicts.
Packages such as Python, Perl and Tcl/Tk run on both Unix and Win32. On both platforms they come with Posix modules. The code is portable between both platforms.

What is it that you are trying to do that needs both Posix and Win32 API' s? This might help me make a more specific suggestion for an alternative.

- Rodney

(in reply to doug)
Post #: 2
RE: alternative to Cygwin? - Nov. 6, '02, 1:34:02 PM   
kzlg

If you need specific packages, then you might also look at socalled native ports of Unix utilities. These do not rely on emulation layers, but depend directly on the Windows API. A large collection of these ports can be found at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

Kees Zeelenberg

(in reply to doug)
Post #: 3
RE: alternative to Cygwin? - Nov. 6, '02, 1:44:05 PM   
Rodney

There are copies of a number of Native ports in the /tools warehouse too. They can be found with the little " Win32" label on them.
http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/warehouse.htm

(in reply to doug)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> alternative to Cygwin? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -