Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 installed

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 installed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 installed - Oct. 24, '05, 5:40:48 PM   
enforcer

Hi, this is my first post.

I installed SFU to try to find some real unix tools for windows, and things were going ok, until I tried to use some Wind River tools.

Actually, I can boot vxworks and then attach a target server using the wdbrpc backend;however, if I reboot the board, then it seems that right when the target server reconnects, my Windows PC running XP Professional will crash with the blue screen of death.

I can only make out a partial message, but it prints out: BAD_POOL_HEADER

The event log shows:

Error code 00000019, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 86d27158, parameter3 86d27238, parameter4 0a1c0001.

This is pretty much a show-stopper for my company with using microsfot services for unix 3.5. It's a shame, too, because cygwin has it's share of problems, too, but it looks like we'll have to live with that since it doesn't crash our machines.

There are some other event log errors having to do with "gateway" and "rpc", but they didn't crash the machine. The "rpc" error may be related to the machine crashing since I am using the wdbrpc backend for the target server. Perhaps the network stack was modified by SFU?

Additional event log errors:

The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

---

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Application Layer Gateway Service service to connect.

---

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

---

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service to connect.

---

The QoS Packet Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

TIA
Post #: 1
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Oct. 24, '05, 7:45:53 PM   
Rodney

> Perhaps the network stack was modified by SFU?

Nope. Not at all.

> until I tried to use some Wind River tools.

What sort of tools are these? Where did you get them from?

> my Windows PC running XP Professional will crash with the blue screen of death.

Do you have SP2 for Windows XP applied or not ?
Did you set DEP off already?

When installing SFU did you just choose the default install or custom? If custom: what was selected?

You can adjust that no reboot happens on a BSOD so you can read what's on the screen.
Go through control panel to start up "System" then go to the "advanced" panel and
click "startup and recovery". Uncheck the "reboot" box.

< Message edited by Rodney -- Oct. 24, '05, 7:48:56 PM >

(in reply to enforcer)
Post #: 2
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Oct. 24, '05, 7:59:29 PM   
enforcer

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for replying.

We are using Tornado 2.2.1 for PPC from Wind River Systems. The target server is a windows program that runs as a process and facilitates communication with an embedded target (e.g., and mv5500 ppc board).

I do have SP2 installed, but I don't know what DEP is.

I have tried various custom installations which included NFS, but the last installation was pretty basic and included the SDK but not NFS. There was stuff for nameserver or password file settings during the install process that I left blank since I didn't know what to enter, but it installed ok and seemed to work.

Unfortunately, I uninstalled it already. I can probably try again later this week, though.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 3
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Oct. 25, '05, 5:05:19 PM   
Rodney

SFU installs its own rpc server. Your notes from above seem to show that there was
a problem starting the rpc server. So I'm wondering if the WindRiver stuff installed
it's own rpc server and there is some conflict.

(in reply to enforcer)
Post #: 4
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Oct. 25, '05, 7:03:48 PM   
enforcer

Hi Rodney,

Our IT guy installed the wind river tools on another machine which already contained SFU, but the problem didn't occur on this one.

Perhaps this problem is specific to my machine (a dell laptop)? I did notice that when the laptop crashed, and upon a reboot, that the error reporting dialog brought up a "driver problem" page, but it didn't say the exact cause.

We are going to try to reproduce this problem on an identical laptop later this week to see if it may be a hardware issue.

Thanks.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 5
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Oct. 25, '05, 11:04:41 PM   
Rodney

Good enough. If we can't blame the hardware then we'll have to read through
the documentation to find where to blame the tech writer

(in reply to enforcer)
Post #: 6
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Jun. 29, '06, 10:22:19 AM   
bozworthy

not sure if anyone is still following this...

I recently had to have my Dell D600 reimaged after installing XP sp2, which I needed for Visual Studio 2005. sp2 hosed it up big time but we got it back on the road. After several months I finally got around to reinstalling Windows Services for Unix 3.5 because I was upgrading an old VB 6 app that used an NFS share to unix. I can see the shared unix box in Windows explorer but if I so much as single click a folder on the share the laptop blows up with the blue screen of death.

I assume XP sp2 and SFU 3.5 are not working well together. Can anyone shed some light?

(in reply to enforcer)
Post #: 7
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Jun. 29, '06, 1:26:54 PM   
Rodney

There have been hot fixes released for NFS.
It'd be best to upgrade to the latest.
You can go through MS support (PSS; should be no charge by the end) or
from the "duh.org" site. Going through PSS could be an advantage in case
the hotfix doesn't help and then you can show you've done everything in
the "official, prescribed manner".

(in reply to bozworthy)
Post #: 8
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Jun. 30, '06, 9:23:11 AM   
bozworthy

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately none of the recommended hotfixes were able to solve the problem. Still blowing up when I try to access any directory under the share.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 9
RE: Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 inst... - Jun. 30, '06, 9:55:29 AM   
Rodney

You'll have to go through PSS (support) for the BSOD.
They do treat this seriously because it has been getting to be more
rare as the NT versions have progressed.

(in reply to bozworthy)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> Wind River target server crashes after SFU 3.5 installed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -