Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1? - Nov. 12, '05, 12:29:20 PM   
breiter

Does anyone know if it will be possible to download an installer for the Subsystem for Unix Applications (SUA/Interix) 5.2 on Windows Server 2003 SP1 or will we have to go through the pain of a full R2 upgrade to get SUA?
Post #: 1
RE: SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1? - Nov. 12, '05, 1:29:02 PM   
Rodney

The question is interesting in light of the most recent hotfix that MS PSS (support) is handing out.

Technically SUA is only going to be available on W2K3-server/R2.
There have been changes to the NT kernel and changes to the Interix subsystem to match.
So SUA/5.2 won't be able to run on earlier version of Windows. So Vista it will work on.
But Vista is a while away. [Though on a positive note there is a Program Manager specifically
assigned to guide Interix into the Vista release.]

However, the most recent hotfix (which member kindly let me know about) works an enhancement from SUA back to 3.5.
What the hotfix changes was never a bug for 10 years... it was just a limit of interacting with Win32.
So, who knows? Maybe some others like this may happen?

(in reply to breiter)
Post #: 2
RE: SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1? - Nov. 12, '05, 2:07:04 PM   
breiter

I'm really confused now.

Here are some quotes from the Win2k3 FAQ:

"Built on Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), R2 takes advantage of the stability and security of a proven code base while extending connectivity and control into new areas."

"Windows Server 2003 R2 integrates the work done in Windows Server 2003 SP1 with selected new features and components, and adds a small number of previously released feature packs. Because Windows Server 2003 R2 is based on Windows Server 2003 SP1, you would need to upgrade only those Windows Server 2003 servers on which you want to run the new features. Because Windows Server 2003 R2 will be serviced with the same service packs and updates as Windows Server 2003, combining Windows Server 2003 operating systems and Windows Server 2003 R2 operating systems in a single environment is very easy."

"Windows Server 2003 with SP1 is a requirement for Windows Server 2003 R2, which is on CD 1. CD 2 includes the Windows Server 2003 R2 features."

R2 will have the same service packs as regular Win2k3. R2 is built on Win2k3 SP1. R2 requires Win2k3 SP1 (which comes on CD 1).

Doesn't this imply that kernel in R2 is the same as Win2k3 SP1 and that the only difference is the components on disk 2, which presumably include SUA/Interix 5.2?

Also of note, some of the other foundation-type features of R2 are already available as separate downloads:

* Windows Sharepoint Services SP2
* .NET Framework 2.0

If it is true that SUA will run on an unaltered Win2k3 SP1 kernel, then it would be great if SUA were available separately for Win2k3 SP1 as an upgrade path from SFU 3.5 without having to go through the rigmarole of gettin R2. Especially after the team botched SFU 3.5 compatibility with Win2k3 SP1 in the first place.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 3
RE: SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1? - Nov. 12, '05, 2:47:57 PM   
Rodney

Welllll, there's technical information and then there is marketing technical information.

Most Win32 programs do not make kernel calls directly. Most Win32 DLL's don't make kernel
calls directly. This done through another DLL that does the "Z" API's that massage the
difference as things get changed over time. Win32 isn't using all of the Kernel functionality
in the same way that Interix does. There have been numerous times since NT 3.51 that OpenNT/Interix
use NT kernel calls in ways that Win32/CSRSS just didn't which caused BSOD or showed functionality
was not as it should be. So if the changes can be contained within certain parameters then the
Win32 programs and patches can run on both. The Win32 releases are likely getting mandated to
be tightly within this scope. If your world is entirely Win32 then... it's fine

SUA doesn't run on anything before W2K3/R2. The scope is different than for Win32.
There are changes to Interix 5.2's subsystem that use new or changed parts in R2.
That's the short of what I've been told (with no special access on my part to anything).

(in reply to breiter)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> SUA 5.2 on Win2k3 SP1? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -