Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Win32 ghostscript

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> Win32 ghostscript Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win32 ghostscript - Dec. 12, '05, 8:49:31 AM   
jon493

I have been using Win32 Ghostscript for a long time now as an image backend and document previewer/converter in collaboration with Win32 GSView. However, I am also now using tools like groff from /tools for minor documents. However, generally these tools require ghostscript to provide full ps2* functionality. This forces me to install /tools version of gs. This configuration is most obnoxious as I have 2 mutually incompatible versions of Ghostscript on my system, and I have to juggle their environment variables in profile.lcl -- not to mention wasted disk space. I cannot remove Win32 ghostscript at all (it is too tightly integrated into my document chain).

So, is there a ghostscript wrapper set of shell scripts (like cc) that actually drives gswin32c.exe instead of gs?

The only limitation could be lack of the X11 preview (not available in Win32 ghostscript, although it has a native Win32 graphical preview -- not too serious as I normally use the preview through GSView, and gswin32c.exe as a batch file backend).

Writing such a script would require mainly pathname translation and the necessary gs command line parsing. However, I am not well versed enough in shell language to write such a script. Any existing script (or directions to find one) would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Win32 ghostscript - Dec. 12, '05, 1:21:34 PM   
Rodney

If you look in the directory /usr/contrib/win32/bin you can use any of these
scripts as a template. They are all scripts for starting Win32 programs.
Thye do pathname conversions, etc.

(in reply to jon493)
Post #: 2
RE: Win32 ghostscript - Dec. 15, '05, 2:27:17 AM   
jon493

I just wanted to save some labour on my part by checking if someone hadn't already done such a script. Thanks anyway.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 3
RE: Win32 ghostscript - Mar. 28, '06, 10:31:31 AM   
breiter

I feel your pain. I have the Win32 and Interix versions of Ghostscript running along with a bunch of other duplicated things.

A whole other option moving forward (Interix 5.2+) is, rather than writing scripts to interop the win32 version of Ghostscript into Interix-land, to make the Ghostscript binaries mixed-mode AND add a little code so that they can detect Win32 file paths and convert them to POSIX.

This way, the Interix version of Ghoscript could be accessed/invoked by Win32 apps transparently without a need for two versions.

http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/fb.aspx?m=8517

(in reply to jon493)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Tools Discussion Forum >> Win32 ghostscript Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -