Free Downloads, Community Forum,
FAQs and Developer Resources

Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SFU tree?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Windows - UNIX Interop] >> System & Network Admin Forum >> Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SFU tree? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SFU tree? - Jan. 9, '06, 10:14:35 AM   
heinz

I have this nagging feeling that there was an issue using the windows gui to change permissions/security. Hopefully someone can confirm I'm wrong.

I have a couple of files and directories that I can't move/delete inside the C:\SFU tree. They are directories created by our app.

Tried the Administrator/su etc route but they just don't want to budge.

As this is a fresh install and I'm trying to leave for home tomorrow :-) I'm treading cautiously.

So the main question remaining: Is it ok to mess with security properties on dirs and files in the SFU tree, i.e. /dir on the Interix side using straigh Win2003 tools (property settings).

TIA - Heinz
Post #: 1
RE: Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SF... - Jan. 9, '06, 1:05:51 PM   
Rodney

I actually have in the FAQ (1.12) that you should not use the Win32 GUI for adjusting/changing/setting
permission for files or directories.

If you are trying to clobber a file (so the end result is that it won't matter since it'll be gone)
take ownership of it first, then change permissions and then do a delete.

(in reply to heinz)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SF... - Jan. 9, '06, 1:21:53 PM   
heinz

Ahaaa, that's where I saw it :-)

Tried it logged in as owner, did a chown to Administrator, tried it. Still permission to rename denied.

Guess I'll reboot it tonight and see if it's anything that has hold of that dir.

No problem with the chmod.

I'll stay out of the GUI, for now :-)
Thanks Rodney.

Another problem I have, which may be related, is text files our SFU app create get used by windows users and then deleted by them. On this fresh install they can delete the file. On the old one I probably used the GUI to set permissions :-)

I'm going to move those dirs outside SFU and then use /dev/fs/C/whatever instead of keeping them inside SFU tree. That's what started me in this mess, adding a link. Sofar so good though, been live for 4-some hours and haven't heard any nasty words yet this morning. Hopefully I'm not jinxing it by saying so.

On to a browse through the FAQ's to see what I might've missed.

Heinz

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SF... - Jan. 10, '06, 1:46:20 AM   
markfunk

Don't forget that you cannot rename a directory if any process
has this directory, or any subfile/subdirectory open.
This is a Windows filesystem implementation property.

(in reply to heinz)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Windows - UNIX Interop] >> System & Network Admin Forum >> Is it ok to use Win GUI to modify permissions in SFU tree? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -