Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 versions unusable

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Windows Server 2003 R2 SUA >> RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 versions unusable Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 9:32:02 AM   
breiter

Another reason that symlinks, hardlinks and junction points aren't exposed to the UI--beyond the support nightmare of exposing that to Joe Average--is that Windows supports FAT32 partitions. And I believe that is even the default on Windows XP (not sure though). FAT32 doesn't have built-in support for these constructs; just NTFS.

See some of the discussion in The Old New Thing: Why are there two copies of Notepad.exe?

(in reply to breiter)
Post #: 41
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 12:50:52 PM   
jerker_back

quote:

No they aren't. Hard links are hard links ...

Yes, they are Microsoft implementations. But we need a MS file system developer to explain how this is done really. To even more complicate things: The implementations seems to change over time. As you sad:
quote:

A reparse point can do whatever you want ...

True, just compare the different implementations of junctions in Mikael Nordell's MakeLink.exe and SysInternal's junction.exe.

I'm quite happy with Interix symlinks. It seems to be a very simple and reliable solution - and it works. I wonder: Is the ln utility in GNU CoreUtils related to our Interix ln? Anybody tried CoreUtils ln? psxdll.dll exports symlink - anybody tried that?

(in reply to DrPizza)
Post #: 42
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 1:34:08 PM   
woehlkmp

Yup, and as far as I can tell, it works like a charm, although I did have to add an explicit call to symlink() to get it to compile/link properly. If anyone knows why that happens, I'd love to hear the reason, just out of curiosity.

Since this is using the symlink() API call, I assume that answers both your questions?

I actually just submitted a bug to savannah listing the tweaks needed to get coreutils to build on Interix. Note that you do not get the df, hostid, shred, su or sync utilities (shred and sync have to be disabled because there is no sync() API on Interix; the others don't build by default - or maybe 'configure' disables them? - but are also broken if you try build them by hand).

Oh, and the reason I'm using the GNU version is because it supports implicit targets, which is nice (i.e. 'ln [-s] /usr/bin/foo' works; the second arg is automatically '`basename <source>`').

(in reply to jerker_back)
Post #: 43
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 1:36:14 PM   
Rodney

Hard links have been part of NTFS since day 1 to specifically support Posix.
NTFS has developed over time through several versions. Some early-on claims
didn't stand-up (e.g. you'll never need to defrag) others have been pretty
good. The hard links are actually table based references by id (aka inode).
The method is similar to the way FFS did it. I've not heard anyone mention
the implementation getting a radical change or using a differet methodology.

The ln utility is not GNU based or related.
The support for symlinks in based in the Interix subsystem.
This allows all programs to "just work" with whatever pathname.
So any program can use the API's (which are standard across systems).

(in reply to breiter)
Post #: 44
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 2:15:50 PM   
jerker_back

quote:

Since this is using the symlink() API call, I assume that answers both your questions?

Great! Very interesting
Is there any differences of the link (the link file as you see it in Windows Explorer)?

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 45
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 2:25:22 PM   
Rodney

> Is there any differences of the link (the link file as you see it in Windows Explorer)?

Win32 doesn't know the file has a special layout (that it's a symlink).
So it (and Win Explorer) can't interpret it for parsing or display.

Post #: 46
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 2:32:38 PM   
jerker_back

quote:

or maybe 'configure' disables them?

What about 'configure' - is it finally working now?
When I tried, I had serious problem with 'configure' - partly solved it by replace interix sed with GNU sed.

Post #: 47
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 4:19:44 PM   
woehlkmp

Eek! I didn't even THINK about replacing sed... I'm going on the assumption that not having GNU sed/gawk/grep/make/etc is just plain asking for problems (ok, I'm not sure why grep matters, but I've heard it does for some packages). If you read my bug report, that contains 100% of what I had to do (or at least, remember having to do!) to get it from './configure' to 'make' to 'make install'.

I would first replace(*) sed, grep, awk, and make with their GNU versions, and then give it a whirl. If you're still having problems, I'd be happy to offer what advice I can. I'll also assume you aren't getting stuck on config.guess, as that's a fairly obvious fix (that rather explicitly tells you what the problem is, as I recall); that was another of my assumptions.

( * It's always a good idea to drop them in /usr/gnu/bin or some such and set PATH accordingly! This is where '--prefix=<somewhere>' comes in handy.)

Also, here is more of a 'how-to' that explains better what you need to do, rather than generalizing what the change needs to be:
  • Edit the 'configure' script and remove the exit's where it bails when it can't figure out how to read the mount tables (Interix has no such thing). I usually just remove (comment out) the whole test-error-exit block.
  • Edit src/Makefile to prevent building of 'mknod', 'shred' and 'sync'.
  • In src/ln.c, immediately before the line 'linkfunc = symlink;', add the code 'if (0) symlink( "/foo", "/foo" );' (the args to 'symlink' can be anything, since it will never be called, but for added safety make them the same so that the call would fail). For some reason, this is necessary to avoid an 'undeclared' error.
  • In src/stat.c (if you care about building 'stat'), where <sys/statvfs.h> is #include'd. remove the condition '&& HAVE_STRUCT_STATVFS_F_BASETYPE'. Change '#if HAVE_STRUCT_STATVFS_F_BASETYPE' to '#if HAVE_SYS_STATVFS_H'.
  • In src/setuidgid.c, add the following code:
      #ifdef __INTERIX
      # define setgroups(a,b) 0
      #endif

[EDIT] Incidentally, I'm a huge fan of the GNU tools... they're a great way to increase portability by removing ideosyncracies of various operating systems (Including Interix!). We actually depend on gawk for some of our build processes; not to mention that our make process is entirely built on GNU make. [/EDIT]

< Message edited by woehlkmp -- Apr. 12, '06, 4:21:07 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 7:04:39 PM   
DrPizza

quote:

Yes, they are Microsoft implementations. But we need a MS file system developer to explain how this is done really.

No, we really don't. People have done the grunt work.

quote:

To even more complicate things: The implementations seems to change over time. As you sad:

When has it changed? The only thing that's changed is there's now a Win32 API to make hard links when in the olden days there was not; this never bothered Interix, as it never used Win32 anyway.

quote:

True, just compare the different implementations of junctions in Mikael Nordell's MakeLink.exe and SysInternal's junction.exe.

Hard links and junction points have nothing to do with each other, though. Junction points are implemented using reparse points; MS have a "mount point" reparse point that can be used to graft volumes and other folders into a directory. Hard links do not use such a mechanism; they are implemented equivalently to hard links on any unix.

(in reply to DrPizza)
Post #: 49
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 10:00:26 PM   
jerker_back

quote:

I'm going on the assumption that not having GNU sed/gawk/grep/make/etc is just plain asking for problems

Ha, ha - so, are you actually planning to follow the line to the end and have a (what will we call it?) GNU posix subsystem?

(in reply to DrPizza)
Post #: 50
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 12, '06, 11:46:37 PM   
jerker_back

OK, DrPizza - I will not argue in this matter - I only partly know what I'm talking about - as I expect most of us are in the inner insights of file system development. In fact I'm not disagreeing with you in any what you have said - you're right! But - so am I. I once did a deep dig in these things (well you're right, deep is always relative) - the subject is huge, complicated and comes with very little available info.

Besides, my original point was really very simple: Reparse points are basically for file system filter driver development, MS have made some basic implementations for us geeks to explore but they didn't really release anything for public use. The hardlinks I referred to was the kind made by the WIN32 API function CreateHardLink in kernel32.dll. As I said there are other ways: See Andrej Ashedel's ln (NT4) (Windows DDK req for compile) and there are at least one more solution what I know of. The interesting thing with Andrej Ashedel's ln is the ability to create both hardlinks and symbolic links.

Despite this is way beyond the scope of this forum, I'll give my understanding - not that I promise that anything is either correct, true or functional:
* The NTFS filesystem can be understood as database with entries - the MFT records. All files on a volume are represented in the MFT. The contents of the files, if any, are stored as one or more streams scattered around on the volume. File attributes is also stored as streams.
* Teoretically a hard link can be made by simply duplicate a MFT record, giving it another file name, but pointing to the same data as the original entry. Any change of either file would show identically in both files.
* But how to do that in the real world?
Ashedel fill a FILE_LINK_INFORMATION structure and apply the target file with NtSetInformationFile using FileLinkInformation as FILE_INFORMATION_CLASS. A hard link is made.

You're right - no reparse point handling here.

< Message edited by jerker_back -- Apr. 12, '06, 11:48:01 PM >

(in reply to DrPizza)
Post #: 51
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 10:48:21 AM   
woehlkmp

quote:

quote:

I'm going on the assumption that not having GNU sed/gawk/grep/make/etc is just plain asking for problems

Ha, ha - so, are you actually planning to follow the line to the end and have a (what will we call it?) GNU posix subsystem?
Why not?

Hmm...
$ ls /usr/gnu/bin
[             bunzip2       cp         false       groups    lookbib  paste         rm       tee       vimdiff
aclocal       bzcat         csplit     fgrep       gunzip    ls       pathchk       rmdir    test      vimtutor
aclocal-1.8   bzcmp         cut        fmt         gzexe     m4       pdfroff       rview    tfmtodit  wc
addftinfo     bzdiff        date       fold        gzip      make     pfbtops       rvim     touch     whatis
afmtodit      bzegrep       dd         gawk        head      man      pgawk         sed      tr        who
apropos       bzfgrep       dir        gawk-3.1.5  hostname  man2dvi  pgawk-3.1.5   seq      troff     whoami
autoconf      bzgrep        dircolors  gdiffmk     hpftodit  md5sum   pic           sha1sum  true      xxd
autoheader    bzip2         dirname    grap2graph  id        mkdir    pic2graph     sleep    tsort     yes
autom4te      bzip2recover  du         grep        ifnames   mkfifo   pinky         soelim   tty       zcat
automake      bzless        echo       grn         igawk     mknod    post-grohtml  sort     uname     zcmp
automake-1.8  bzmore        egrep      grodvi      indxbib   mmroff   pr            split    unexpand  zdiff
autoreconf    cat           env        groff       install   mv       pre-grohtml   stat     uniq      zforce
autoscan      chgrp         eqn        groffer     join      neqn     printenv      stty     unlink    zgrep
autoupdate    chmod         eqn2graph  grog        kill      nice     printf        sum      uptime    zmore
awk           chown         ex         grolbp      link      nl       ptx           tac      users     znew
basename      chroot        expand     grolj4      lkbib     nohup    pwd           tail     vdir
bash          cksum         expr       grops       ln        nroff    readlink      tar      view
bashbug       comm          factor     grotty      logname   od       refer         tbl      vim

Granted, a few of those aren't strictly "GNU", but I have coreutils, bash, sed, gawk, make, groff, autoconf/automake, m4, and tar. Of the non-GNU-but-still-OSS, I have gzip, zlib, vim (vim-6.4) and man (man-1.6c), all of which I built from sources. Just for kicks I tried 'for f in `ls /bin` ; do [ -f /usr/gnu/bin/$f ] || echo $f ; done' and realized I'm missing a few things I wouldn't mind having GNU versions of (diff, for one) .

Note: in case this wasn't clear, when I said "asking for problems" I meant "w.r.t. trying to build other GNU utilities", not "using Interix in general".

Post #: 52
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 12:06:41 PM   
jerker_back

That is really impressive - and a lot of work

(in reply to woehlkmp)
Post #: 53
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 12:20:56 PM   
woehlkmp

It's a LOT less than you might think. Mostly it's a matter of building dependencies in the right order... and sitting around staring at builds running. My list of 'changes needed to build on Interix' is only 30 lines long, and half of that was for coreutils.

In general, stuff either built 'out of the box' or with only one or two minor changes (tar, for example, needs a copy of sysexits.h; the header is nothing but a bunch of exit status constants, so can be simply copied from any computer that has it). Several things need C[PP]FLAGS=-D_ALL_SOURCE to behave. Stuff like that. But that's about it.

I just built less, findutils and diffutils, and am moving on to patch, ctags and ncurses.

Post #: 54
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 1:07:07 PM   
jerker_back

So, you can actually replace the whole Interix SDK and building a GNU environment on pure R2? You'll need the psxdll headers and libs of course but besides that?

(in reply to woehlkmp)
Post #: 55
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 1:29:58 PM   
Rodney

Just for reference:
diff is already a GNU based version.
You do need utilities from /bin that exist that have no GNU equivalents.

Post #: 56
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 1:40:54 PM   
jerker_back

quote:

You do need utilities from /bin that exist that have no GNU equivalents

Did you ever test this in OpenNT? As an alternative to BSD I mean.

(in reply to Rodney)
Post #: 57
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 1:49:07 PM   
woehlkmp

I don't think you can replace "the entire SDK", although you can probably get pretty close (if you can get your own gcc built, that is). I know for a fact that you're (currently) stuck with Microsoft's 'df', and probably their 'su'. But, in terms of the shell and basic utilities, then yes, you can replace (and I guess I have replaced) most of it with GNU or other OSS versions.

Here is a list(*) of things in /bin that are not in /usr/gnu/bin:
$ for f in `ls /bin` ; do [ -f /usr/gnu/bin/$f ] || echo $f ; done | column
addr            cpio            getopt          mail            pg              rsh             time
at              crontab         hexdump         mailx           ping            rstartd         tip
atq             dc              host            man2html        posixpath2nt    runwin32        truss
atrm            df              iconv           more            ps              script          tzselect
banner          dig             ipcrm           mpack           pstat           service         unifdef
batch           dircmp          ipcs            mt              psxoffset       showmount       unixpath2win
bc              dnsquery        ispell          munpack         ranlib          size            unvis
bp              ed              last            mvwtmpx         rcp             spell           uudecode
c89             file            lex             newgrp          rdist           ssimda          uuencode
cal             fileinfo        line            nslookup        rdistd          strerror        vis
calendar        fileinfo.exe    locale          nsupdate        read            strsignal       winpath2unix
chgpath         finger          localedef       ntpath2posix    regpwd          su              wvisible
clear           flip            logger          nvi             renice          syslogd         yacc
col             ftp             login           passwd          rlogin          talk            yearistype
column          gencat          loginenv        pax             rpcgen          telnet
command         getconf         lp              pdomain         rpcinfo         tftp

* I culled from that list things from binutils, shells, shell built-ins, curses/term{info|cap} programs, things where the GNU version has a different name, etc. Specifically:
alias           cat32.exe       fc              infotocap       sh              toe             vi
ar              cc              fg              jobs            strings         tput            wait
bg              cd              getopts         ksh             strip           tset
captoinfo       chsh            iman            nm              tcsh            umask
cat32           csh             infocmp         reset           tic             unalias

Post #: 58
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 2:01:38 PM   
breiter

quote:

if you can get your own gcc built, that is)

Another forum member, Andreas/jumpigh, has built gcc 4.0 with c, c++, objc, f95 and treelang which is available as a beta package from ftp://ftp.interopsystems.com/pkgs/beta/.

Personally, I haven't tried it, but you're all gung-ho and everything...

(in reply to woehlkmp)
Post #: 59
RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 v... - Apr. 13, '06, 2:04:12 PM   
Rodney

> Did you ever test this in OpenNT? As an alternative to BSD I mean.

The programs in particular are not BSD-based (written from scratch) or
were heavily/specifically modified for the Interix (nee OpenNT) platform.
They wouldn't make sense on any other platform. Many of the utilities that
have GNU equivalants have Interix specific changes for better functionality
and/or speed, but, again, the changes aren't applicable to other platforms.

(in reply to woehlkmp)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Windows Server 2003 R2 SUA >> RE: Several "common" utils gone in 5.2; 3.5 versions unusable Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -