Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Problem with Interix device special files backup and restore

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> Problem with Interix device special files backup and restore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with Interix device special files backup and re... - May 22, '06, 5:26:53 PM   
ashyshs

Hi All,

I am getting an error with ksh shell - "No controlling tty (open /dev/tty: Device not configured)" after the system has been restored using ASR.

I was able to repro the problem using ntbackup to backup the C:\SFU\dev directory and restoring it back to the original place. The same problem can also be reproduced using Windows Explorer by making a copy of the C:\SFU\dev folder, renaming the original dev folder to something else and then renaming the copied folder as dev.

It seems that some information about the device special files are lost when performing the above mentioned steps.

Although, this can be rectified using the /usr/sbin/makedev -f command, I would like to know the exact cause of this issue.

Additionally, it will be great if someone can point out a way to reliably backup and restore the device special files in Interix Environment.

Regards,
Ashish
Post #: 1
RE: Problem with Interix device special files backup an... - May 22, '06, 9:58:21 PM   
Rodney

Well, first of all, as you've now discovered: don't do that.
You are now member of the FAQ 1.12 club.

File Explorer will mess up the ACL by re-writing it in a form that it thinks the ACE's in the ACL should be.
It's a truely horrible thing because, as anyone who knows ACL's on other systems (e.g. VMS), order matters.
That's one part of it.

For a lot of the backup tools they only get "basic" information on the attributes and the primary data stream.
They don't get alternate data streams and/or extended attribute information.
Now why specifically it messes up for the character special files I don't know, but I can't see what it's
"restored" on your system.

A reliable way for all Interix files and directories (not just /dev) is to use pax.
I suggest pax over cpio and tar. But if you need to use tar
before cpio. Then have this archive backed-up by your Win32 program.
You can schedule full or incremental pax backups with cron even.

(in reply to ashyshs)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Interix Advanced Forum >> Problem with Interix device special files backup and restore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -