Free Downloads, Community Forum,
FAQs and Developer Resources

Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

Do child processed inherit STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR from their parents?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Windows Server 2003 R2 SUA >> Do child processed inherit STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR from their parents? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do child processed inherit STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR fro... - Jun. 6, '06, 1:35:42 AM   
bdavison

Hi,

This question really follows on from this thread and filehandle redirection from the processed that are called via the connection.

You see I'm calling Make which calls ANT which calls signcode.exe (microsoft app to sign a CAB file).
If I run this from the console it works, but when running it from an RSH it fails.

The app signcode runs and says there is an error with the certificates even though the command (command line) is exactly the same. Just the environment it's called in is different.

Is this a problem with filehandles or just a badly written program not reporting problems correctly?

I know potential problems with signcode.exe are outside the scope of this forum but I'm not convinced the cause is actually the program yet.

clutching at straws... :-(

It would really help if Crappy Microsoft apps had decent error messages...
Post #: 1
RE: Do child processed inherit STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR... - Jun. 6, '06, 10:10:38 AM   
Rodney

> Do child processed inherit STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR from their parents?

Yes.
And as in any good Unix environment the "file type" can be a tty, file, pty, ...

> It would really help if Crappy Microsoft apps had decent error messages...

agreed.

> You see I'm calling Make which calls ANT which calls signcode.exe (microsoft app to sign a CAB file).

We do have in the /Tools warehouse the cabextract package for extraction of CAB's.
I mention this more for other readers since it doesn't do CAB signing.

> If I run this from the console it works, but when running it from an RSH it fails.
> Is this a problem with filehandles or just a badly written program not reporting problems correctly?

It's likely the filehandles. MS utilities are better written than they were many years ago.
MS command line programs just can't take stdin/stdout/stderr as tty's, pty's, sockets, etc. without
a Win32 console backing it or the std{in,out,err} being a disk file.

When you run a Win32 program from the glass in an Interix terminal (named ttyn*) there is a Win32 console
backing it for display purposes. So this console is available for std{in,out,err}. This isn't available
when you normally come in through a remote connection. However, if you do the redirection for std* to be
a file type Win32 programs handle it should run fine (as mentioned in other threads). Also if you get the
latest hotfix it will help with this in some cases behind the scenes.

(in reply to bdavison)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> Windows Server 2003 R2 SUA >> Do child processed inherit STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR from their parents? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -