Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

pkg_add: not running as administrator

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> SFU / Interix - Getting Started >> pkg_add: not running as administrator Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 2:08:56 AM   
peach

I have installed SFU 3.5 and want to add some of the additional tools listed on the site so downloaded them then install the pkg installer when ever I attempt to run pkg_add I receive " pkg_add: not running as administrator" .

I have read through some forum listings and there is talk using su to become the local administrator and such, however I am running Windows XP Professional with a single user that has administrator rights without an actual administrator user.

So how do I use pkg_add?
Will I be forced to have and Administrator user?

I have ensured setuid settings are on in the registry and this had no change in the effect. I have tried logging in, su' ing to a local user that has admin rights but nothing seems to work.

Any help appreciated...

Later, Peach
Post #: 1
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 3:04:55 AM   
Rodney

As of this moment to use pkg_add you need to be administrator.

To this point in history the folks who have been coming have administrator account access. We' ve just gotten through figuring out what has been happening with people who have renamed their administrator account. That' s resulted in changes that are just getting finished.

Some other people (and now yourself) have started to appear asking about it working for accounts that are members of the " Administrators" group. So this will be the next thing to address for installing packages. This is a Windows model of administration which is different from the Unix model and this is Unix software. So there are things to check, try, change, etc.

So for the rest of this week (and likely part of next week) at least you need to be administrator.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 2
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 11:33:23 AM   
peach

So essentially for now pkg_add just checks to see if the user is Administrator or not?

I will add the Administrator user.

Let me know when the update is available and I will assist in the testing if you need...

Later, Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 3
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 11:49:40 AM   
Rodney

Thanks for volunteering on for future testing.

When looking for administrator it' s actually looking for the user with a UID of 197108 or 1049076. These are fixed UID' s that only the local administrator and domain administartor (respectively) can have.
If you have renamed the accounts associated with these UID' s then that should be okay to use.
If you do an ' id 197108' you should see in the output information what the name of that account is.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 4
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 12:14:10 PM   
peach

Ok the account id 197107 exist and is different from my account (epeach) however it does not show up anywhere for a windows login and does not match any password that I would use when building out the machine. To make things more interesting the account cannot be added since it already exists. I have not delved that deep into the Administrator account since it was just part of the installation on this laptop. I did not do any specific rename on the admin account or anything like that so I am unsure what needs to happen here in order to use the account.

Any suggestions?

Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 5
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 12:20:46 PM   
peach

A little more info:

Password seems ok but account must be locked in some way.

I used passwd which prompted for the existing and new passwords (does not normally prompt for new password unless existing is correct) but errors out Bad address

More of a unix guy when it comes to accounts passwords roles etc.... this does not seem to overlay quite the same...

Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 6
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 12:26:16 PM   
steveh

The Adminstrator account is defaultly hidden on XP logon you need to enable it with a regisrty hack. or just su - on the command line if you want to just run a few commands.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 7
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 12:30:42 PM   
peach

steveh,

I have tried that and recieve the following error:
su: setuser: Operation not permitted

Which does not appear to be a password problem (but I could be wrong).

Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 8
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 12:35:51 PM   
steveh

At a guess your not a member of the administrators group on the machine.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 9
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 12:38:47 PM   
peach

Steve,

Yes I am a member of the Administrators group.

I am the only user of this laptop, done from a fresh install less than 2 months ago. Not having any problem with any other apps that require admin rights. id also shows that I am a member of administrators,dba_ora and some others based on my laptop config.

Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 10
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 1:09:09 PM   
steveh

try running the " su -" though truss and see what the args to setuser are they should be administator

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 11
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 1:26:30 PM   
Rodney

Since your admin account (197108) is renamed try:
su - epeach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 12
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 1:31:27 PM   
steveh

su -
works here with a renamed admin account so i dont think thats it :(

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 13
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 1:38:31 PM   
peach

steve,

setuser is using Administrator however it looks like it uses my machinename \ username for password prompt so not all is quite correct if you know what I mean.

Rodney,

Tried that as well, however it is not a rename, my epeach account has a different id (197612)

I will check back once I get to LA prior to heading to Texas....

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 14
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 3:25:19 PM   
markfunk

1) When you install Windows NT (and successors like XP), it automatically creates an account with a SID that maps an Interix uid of 197108.
This SID (and Interix uid) is what is referred to as the " local Administrator" account. It could have *any* name, but it will always have the same SID and uid value
on all systems.
(in fact, non-english systems will have a different name for this account)

2) Creating a new local account called " Admnistrator" is not the same as the " local Administrator" account.

3) " su" or " su -" will try to create a process with the security token of this " local Administrator" account - the account that has the Interix uid of 197018.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 15
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 4:04:23 PM   
peach

Mark,

No disagreement on the account id 197108 is there and refers to a user called Administrator. However this user in XP is hidden and appears to be inaccessable, I cannot su - (su: setuser: Operation not permitted). I am a user with administrator rights not a renamed administrator, no special tricks clean install 2 months back never had or used adminstrator account with XP (just created behind the sceenes). I cannot create a new account called Administrator because it already exists with the 197108 id. I also cannot login Windows, SFU login, or su - based on same basic error. I do have the enablesetuid registry entry set. As I stated to Steve when trussing su - it prompts for password based on PEACH-M1\epeach (my account with addministrator rights) but attempts to setuser to Administrator and fails as mentioned above.

Has anyone done an XP Professional installation with this type of configuration that works. I can su to epeach or any other user account that I create but not to administrator but that does not resolve the issue. Does domain name come into play here somewhere (not in a domain,nor do I want to be since this is a laptop that I use at customer sites etc.)

On number 3 I agree again with what is said but it fails as mentioned above.

Thanks again for any insight, Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 16
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 4:31:24 PM   
markfunk

The only time I' ve seen the Administrator account " hidden" is on XP-Home edition.
I wonder if Microsoft did something in one of their security patches ? or in SP1 or SP2 ?

Other stuff to try:

What do you see when you open
Control Panel->ComputerManagement->Local Users and Groups ->Users
Do you see all your local user accounts ?
Including " Administrator" ? If you see Administrator, click it and check if it is a " Member of" Administrators.

Also, check out
ControlPanel->AdministrativeTools->LocalSecuritPolicy ?

Look for the " Log on locally" and the " Deny logon..." entries. See if there' s anything there that may be amiss.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 17
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 4:43:30 PM   
steveh

Yep peach works fine on XP pro here even got the administator user renamed :P

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 18
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 4:44:44 PM   
steveh

FYI:
quote:

Q: How to display the administrator account on the welcome screen in Windows XP?
A: Open this key: " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList" and create a new DWORD value entitled Administrator, give it a value of 1. The password has been given upon the system installation.

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 19
RE: pkg_add: not running as administrator - Jan. 29, '04, 8:20:28 PM   
peach

Steve,

Thanks the dword did it.

FYI for others, there are some other OEM distributions of XP pro that also hide the Administrator account of which the fix Steve mentioned did the trick for me allowing me to su - and run pkg_add. In my case it appears to be related to the OEM distribution of XP from Toshiba for my Tecra M1 laptop. I installed with out a hitch on some other computers and had no problems much like others. The one other thing that may have caused this is some patches, I intend to do a fresh install of the laptop to validate this. I will post any findings back here once I find it.

Once again thanks Steve for your help, I am not a registry expert in XP just enought to be dangerous so my experience is unix etc. Unfortunately most laptops ship with windows thus need for these better solutions that support what ever may be built and supported by the vendors such as Toshiba etc.

Rodney,

Again if you distribute a version of the pkg_add (updated shell) that you need tested based on belonging to the Administrators group let me know and I will be glad to assit in the testing...

Later, Peach

(in reply to peach)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> SFU / Interix - Getting Started >> pkg_add: not running as administrator Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -