Make /Tools Your Home | Link to us

Today's posts | Posts since last visit | Most Active Topics

All Forums Register Login Search Subscriptions My Profile Inbox
Tool Warehouse FAQs Resources Help Member List Address Book Logout

A Somewhat General Overview?

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> SFU / Interix - Getting Started >> A Somewhat General Overview? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Somewhat General Overview? - Aug. 20, '06, 1:05:14 PM   
inthewayboy

I can't believe I've only just stumbled onto SFU! Of course, I haven't had a real reason to look into something like this until recently. So far by reading through the forums and microsoft.com I think I have a firm grasping of SFU, but I do have some questions:

1. It looks like when you install SFU it installs to whatever dir you tell it to. In there you have all the folders, the same kinds of folders that I've seen on a standard linux install. So from what I can tell the installdir is essentially replicating a standard linux filesystem structure? You have the /etc for all the configs, the /bin for the apps, etc. My question for this is am I correct on this?

2. I assume there is no kernel running for SFU, but I'm sure there has to be something that is running at all time to help this along. I always like to know what to look out for, is it just one file/service? For instance, if it's giving me problems is there a process I can end and then restart?

3. I see a lot of cool applications (OpenSSH, Apache2, Perl, etc) that get me thinking. If I use those applications would normal documentation from the source apply to them? Or are these packages custom to the point that I should funnel all tech support requests back through these forums?

4. Just for fun, if this had to be compaired to a distro it sounds like it's closest to a BSD style flavor, is that right?

5. Interop, the company involved in this, seems to offer some commercial products (I just might have to buy Secure Shell). From what I can tell it looks like they/you pretty much do all the devside things for SFU, and MS just offers it (Or a link) for free?

My goal for this is to help in integrating an open source intranet of sorts. My main goal above all else is to try and figure out a way to accomplish a single sign-on, using AD as the authentication source. Can SFU do that that, or is that where the newer Identity Management part comes in...or more likely a combo of both. I guess one thing I fear is by using so many different paths that this may not work in the end for me.

For instance, I want to use MySQL for the DB, but since that doesn't look like it will be a package then I'll have to opt for the Win32 version. But then the apache and php is running through SFU. Has anyone ever done something like that, and if so do I have anything to worry about?

If this works out the way I see it SFU kicks mucho rear! My initial plan was to use an Ubuntu server on a VM for this, and try and integrate that into the network. I'm still gonna keep that on a back burner in case this doesn't fall through, but I like this idea better.

Oh, one last question. Let's assume I want to create a member server to handle all the SFU things. Are there any best practices in regards to installation and configuration of the box? What about it's effect on a DC, would I have to install it on both the DC and the member server?

Lot's of questions, I know. I've searched for many here, and will continue to do so. Just thought maybe a few people might wanna take a crack at em! Thanx in advance!!!
Post #: 1
RE: A Somewhat General Overview? - Aug. 20, '06, 2:25:23 PM   
Rodney

1. Actually the general filesystem layout is Unix. For Interix it's a mix of BSD and System V.
Linux wasn't an influence; Linux also tends to follow the Unix filesystem layout.

2. There is a subsystem. The OS model is like the MACH model rather than the monolithic model
it sounds like you are used to. The Interix subsystem, which has special privileges with the
NT kernel, is for all purposes the "Unix kernel" here. The only way to restart it is to reboot
the whole system.

3. Well, if you have questions about the packages you get from here, then ask the questions here
for sure. Often people grab packages from here and then go off and ask question in another forum
or newsgroup -- asking here is the right thing to do. Yes, the same source code is used and the
same documentation applies. So you can read all of the helpful web pages at Apache's site and they
are just as applicable as on any other Unix system.

4. Yes, the strongest flavour is BSD (for both utilities and system behavior), but there are elements
of System V added for portability and to meet the standards.

5. The history of things hasn't been full written down. I've started to do this over on www.interix.ca
now that Interix is at it's 10th anniversary, but that's going to take a while. But here's a short take
on it: Softway Systems did the original development. MS bought Interix in 1999. Since then MS has done
the development on the subsystem/kernel and utilities in Redmond and India. Interop started offering a
selection of applications pre-built that MS didn't want to deal with for various reasons. It's grown
over the years to cover some of the utilities that ship with Interix since the utilities hadn't had much
updating over the years. There are many that we have updated internally, but not released. We made an offer
to provide theses updates to MS (the results of this will be seen in the final Vista release). Last I was
told there are over 30 people at MS working on Interix. The Interop folks are for the most part former
Softway people (f.e. Bill was in Marketing/Special Projects; Mark was buildmeister, utilities & subsystem;
I did subsystem & utilities).

The MySQL client runs just fine (you'll find an older version in the beta directory on the ftp site,
a newer one I built about a week ago will appear as soon as I get some time for it). There's something
with the server side that locks up, but I haven't had a chance to follow it. There are others who are
doing these mixtures of the server running in Win32 with Interix clients.

The user database (i.e. AD) is used by Interix the same way as Win32 does. So it's all the same central source.
You can get NIS to be under AD with the SFU components. It's hard to say more not knowing your details.

You only need to install Interix on the machines that you need to use it. The SFU component for Username Mapping
will need to be installed on the server as well -- the SFU Help menu documention has more on this.

Others are encouraged to add their $0.02 too :-)

(in reply to inthewayboy)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [SFU / Interix / SUA Technology] >> SFU / Interix - Getting Started >> A Somewhat General Overview? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Search All Forums -